giovedì 1 aprile 2010

This is madness.

I remember when back in 2007 I went to Uniqlo with my pal Nadia, and bought my first denim skirt for 690JPY. That would be rougly 5.90euro today, but at the time the exchange rate was so sick I paid that skirt something like 4euro.

Uniqlo used to be the most un-fashionable brand here in Japan, and I can't really blame its status back then. The design used to be very plain and simple, but not in a neat way, the color rather boring and ugly.

But then some hansdome prince came and french-kissed the poor frog, turning it into a rather sexy princess. With some pimples, but still...

Nowadays Uniqlo offers some kick-ass basic garments and cool t-shirts for crazy prices. Uniqlo often collaborates with foreign and Japanese designers to create special lines. The Jil Sander x Uniqlo collaboration had a huge succes last spring.

Personally, what I love the most are Uniqlo t-shirts and leggings/tights. Someday I shall post a snapshot of all my Uniqlo t-shirts. Today I bought a Mickey Mouse t-shirt, in neon colors. I think I will sport this Mickey on drugs this Sathurday, at Yasu's Hanami. While I was checking the t-shirts out, a Japanese girl came by with a friend of hers, and basically said "OMG this t-shirt is chou kawaii (tres jolie), no, wait... this is Uniqlo! Jeez, if somebody finds out the shirt I'm wearing is from Uniqlo I would feel so embarassed..." and then stormed away.


990JPY of awesomeness.

Basically, this is what most of Japanese people think of Uniqlo. But don't worry, I can still trick them. I still think that a piece of crap can look awesome on the right person, and Uniqlo is lovely and look good on me. People has been asking me so many times where I got some of my clothes, and when I answer "Uniqlo" they go "NO WAY".

Basically, a certain type of Japanese fashionistas and wanna-be think that the more you pay the cooler you are, therefore Uniqlo is a big no. But, if you are in Tokyo pay a visit to Uniqlo, and I promise you won't regret it.

5 commenti:

  1. Ci sono stata, c'erano molte cose interessanti e mi sono presa anche un paio di cose pagandole proprio pochissimo....cosa perfetta visto che il viaggio lo pagavo per due e dovevamo anche mangiare!!
    Io sono una di quelle persone che pensano che se qualcosa è bello, lo indossa volentieri!
    La nuova generazione sta cambiando...se non spendi 250 euro per un capo sei out! Terribile!
    (Quella maglietta è stupenda!!)

    RispondiElimina
  2. Bella maglia: UNIQLO è il meglio!
    E circa "il meglio": a quando qualche "prodotto da reflex"?? Dai dai, attendiamo fiduciosi.

    RispondiElimina
  3. @Kri Esatto. La cosa che però mi stupisce è che quei 250 euro vengono spesi per cose orrende, e non robine di classe/design. Comprano tute da spacciatore, scarpe tremende (a cicli, prima le Tiger, le Kawasaki -orrende- e via dicendo)... Qualche volta è bello concedersi un capo un attimo più costoso del solito, ma pensare che solo le cose costose hanno un valore6 "estetico" è folle.

    @re, sto ancora cercando di capire come usare al meglio la Nikon... attendere prego! ;D
    Ho postato qualcosa su Flickr, dacci un'occhiata! http://www.flickr.com/photos/48726222@N05/

    RispondiElimina
  4. Just check him u know: http://www.japanesestreets.com/photoblog/873/hiroshi-miyauchi

    RispondiElimina
  5. Insomma Uniqlo e' una specie di Oviesse giapponese (spendi poco, vesti peggio).
    Questa settimana vado a Londra e seguendo il tuo consiglio daro' un occhiata al negozio locale sperando abbiano taglie occidentali visto che sono alto 1,90.
    Mi sembra di capire che comunque tu personalmente non incontri problemi di taglie in Giappone.
    Questo tuo nuovo blog pieno di foto mi piace: lo trovo...piu' carico...piu...ecco...PIU'.
    Brava!
    Ivan

    RispondiElimina